anephron is an original German herbal preparation from Bionorica. In this article we are going to discuss Kanefron during pregnancy in this article. It contains the powdered essence of three plants that are traditionally used in folk medicine in the treatment of kidney diseases. Kanefron is also prescribed for pregnant women, as it is safe for the mother and fetus.
The composition of Kanefron includes:
- centaury ordinary (grass);
- lovage (roots);
- rosemary (leaves)
Doctors prescribe Kanefron for prevention (as an independent drug) and treatment (as part of combination therapy, usually together with antibiotics):
- cystitis ;
- pyelonephritis ;
- urolithiasis .
Cystitis is an inflammatory process that affects the inner walls of the bladder. In the early stages, it mainly affects the mucous membrane, and in severe cases it can spread to the muscle layer of the organ.
Pyelonephritis is an infectious disease of the kidneys caused by various bacteria. The acute form of the disease is manifested by fever, symptoms of intoxication and pain in the lumbar region.
Urolithiasis develops as a result of metabolic disorders and is manifested by the formation of stones in the organs of the urinary system (kidneys, ureters and bladder).
Let’s figure out when and to whom the drug is prescribed, as well as what its benefits are for the mother and fetus.
Is Kanefron safe during pregnancy?
Canephron may be especially helpful during pregnancy because:
- diseases of the urinary tract are often encountered during pregnancy for anatomical reasons (there is a compression of the ureters and bladder by the enlarging uterus);
- doctors avoid prescribing antibiotics to pregnant women because of their negative effect on the fetus (especially in the early stages of pregnancy).
The drug is considered safe. The manufacturer’s website contains several scientific articles about the experience of using Kanefron by expectant mothers. However, the instruction does not recommend the use of the drug during pregnancy, since serious studies of its effect on the fetus have not been conducted.
The absence of serious studies does not mean that Kanefron will harm an unborn child. The instruction only warns that the drug manufacturer is not responsible for possible undesirable consequences of its use by pregnant women.
A safety study of Canephron, registered in the US Clinical Trials Registry, sponsored by the manufacturer and performed in Kyiv (Ukraine), demonstrated the absence of serious adverse events during the use of Canephron during pregnancy.
Doctors prescribing Kanefron to expectant mothers do not report its negative effect on the fetus.
How Kanefron works
Several clinical studies and long-term observations of doctors show that the plants in Kanefron:
- fight bacteria;
- increase the formation of urine;
- relieve inflammation and spasms.
The beneficial properties of herbs in diseases of the urinary tract have been known for a long time. However, Bionorica claims that it was able not only to combine traditional medicine with scientific developments, but also to select the most effective combination of plants.
The exact proportions of the plants that make up Kanefron are unknown. The manufacturer warns that the use of the same herbs for self-preparation of the drug will not have the desired effect.
The claimed effect of the drug Kanefron:
- reduces pain and cramps during urination;
- prevents new exacerbations of the disease;
- increases the effectiveness of antibiotic therapy (if the medicine is used together with antibiotics);
- reduces stone formation in the urinary tract.
When is Kanefron prescribed?
Already in the early stages of pregnancy, a whole range of negative factors begin to act on the urinary system of a woman (including those who did not suffer from her diseases before), namely:
- constant fluctuations in hormones lead to a decrease in the tone of the bladder, ureters and renal pelvis;
- pressure on the bladder creates a backflow of urine into the kidneys;
- an increase in the volume of circulating blood due to the fetus and placenta causes an increase in the load on the kidneys;
- reduced immunity facilitates the development of infection.
Problems with the health of the urinary system occur in 80% of pregnant women. Doctors consider the 22-28th week of pregnancy to be a particularly dangerous period in terms of kidney disease.
Taking Kanefron in courses throughout pregnancy (after 12 weeks) helps prevent exacerbation of urinary tract infections.
Benefits for mother and fetus
Urinary tract infections increase the risk of:
- premature birth;
- child mortality in childbirth;
- development of intrauterine infections of the fetus.
In 12% of pregnant women, pyelonephritis of varying severity of inflammation is found. If a woman suffered from chronic pyelonephritis before pregnancy, she may develop such severe complications as:
- preeclampsia ;
Preeclampsia is a pathological condition that occurs in the second half of pregnancy. It is characterized by the occurrence of high blood pressure and often a significant amount of protein in the urine.
- uteroplacental insufficiency .
Uteroplacental insufficiency is the inability of the placenta to deliver sufficient nutrients to the fetus during pregnancy.
- reduces the duration of use and dose of antibiotics needed to suppress the infection;
- effectively fights urinary tract infections in cases where doctors consider it possible to do without antibiotics;
- Minimizes swelling by increasing urine output.
How to take Kanefron
Kanefron take 50 drops (dissolved in water) 3 times a day or 2 tablets 3 times a day. During treatment, it is recommended to drink plenty of fluids.
Read Also :- 6 foods to help you lose belly fat
Contraindications and side effects
Kanefron should not be taken by pregnant women suffering from:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- diseases of the stomach (gastritis, ulcers) in the acute stage.
Side effects (rare):
- allergic reactions;
- diarrhea (diarrhea).
Analogues of Kanefron during pregnancy
The drug Nefrosten of the Russian manufacturer Evalar contains the same medicinal plants as Kanefron, therefore it can be used as its analogue.
- Kanefron® N Bionorica, website .
- Safronova E.S., Sokolova Y.S., Lishik I.A., et al. Prophylactic use of Kanefron during pregnancy with a disease of the urinary system (pyelonephritis). \\ Achievements of science and education. 2019;5(46):98-103.
- Gumenyuk E.G. Modern approaches to the prevention and treatment of urinary tract infections during pregnancy. \\ Journal of Obstetrics and Women’s Diseases. 2005;LIV(4):81-87.
- Safety and Efficacy of Canephron® N in the Management of Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections. Identifier: NCT01478620